10.3.08

Knitted Nudes

Knitted Nudes

While working at the Blaffer Gallery, one show that I particularly enjoyed was Girls Night Out. It was photography from female artists, including one of my favorites that I knew of before, Rineke Dijkstra. From that show I also learned about Katy Grannan and Salla Tykka. But my favorite piece of the whole show was The Wall by an English Photographer, Sarah Jones. I was most often positioned by it, and the whole of it fascinated me. Eventually I thought that I should make a blanket out of it, but then I thought about some photographs I had taken for a class project, and that I could use them as bases.
So, after learning to intarsia, and working with the photo in photoshop, I started the first one, and finished six weeks later. Even working at a job where I can knit virtually the entire time I'm at work, they take forever.
Most of the finished pieces I have made since then have been shot specifically for this project. and I am going to vary it soon. After the ninth one, (which I will begin tomorrow morning) some will be full pictures, and some will be sections thereof. I have already made some 9"x9" ones, and this next set will be 2'x2'
the piece of colour in each one is mainly for aesthetic reasons, and each picture is hand-knitted over 4-8 weeks.
Kerrisa's Back
Kerrisa's Back
Trinidad's Faith.jpg
Trinidad's Faith
Krystal, Poised
Krystal, Poised
Morgan, Standing
Morgan, Standing

No comments: