25.2.08

Nudesuits

Nudesuits
The oldest body of work that I still consider active (because it's certainly not finished) is my Nudesuits project. Born out of a school assignment, it was inspired by the work of Alba d'Urbano and Greg Friedler. Alba d'Urbano had a performance piece where she made a dress with the printed on pattern of her own skin, then alternatively had a model, or visitors to the art space wear it to be "In her skin." Friedler has an on-going portraiture project in which he takes pictures of the models first in their clothes, then out, and presents them side by side.

My project combines elements of each. I make a portrait in which the model appears to be wearing clothing printed with their own skin. This is a reflection of the self of the model, and also calls to the notion that clothing is the skin we present to the world. Each model is photographed in an area they are comfortable in, first clothed, then nude in the same position, then in photoshop I stitch the two together.
Matthew
Betsy
Crystal and Steve
Thuy and James

I currently have 12 finished images, and am hoping to one day have around 50. (as such I am seeking models) Particular images I would like to get if possible would be a tuxedo (maybe even a couple in their wedding outfits), Rollerderby players, a Burka, and a swimsuit, although it is the subject's choice of course.

This work has been feature in Bizarre Magazine (June '07) and should be featured again soon.

No comments: